dimanche 1 décembre 2013

Useful phrases in Kinyarwanda

Useful phrases in Kinyarwanda

A collection of useful phrases in Kinyarwanda, a Bantu language spoken in mainly in Rwanda.
You can see them in many other languages by clicking on the English versions.
Key to abbreviations: frm = formal, inf = informal, sg = singular (said to one person), pl = plural (said to more than one person).
English Ikinyarwanda (Kinyarwanda)
Welcome Murakaza neza
Hello Muraho / Bite (inf)
How are you?


I'm fine.
Amakuru?
Umeze gute?
Bitese?
Ni meza
Long time no see  
What's your name?
My name is ...
Witwa nde?
Nitwa ...
Where are you from?
I'm from ...
Muturuka he?
 
Pleased to meet you Ndabishimiye (sg) Nishimiye kuba menya (pl/frm)
Good morning Mwaramutse
Good afternoon Mwiriwe
Good evening Mwiriwe neza
Good night Muramuke
Goodbye Murabeho / Mwirirwe (afternoon) / Muramuke (evening) / Turongera
Good luck Amahirwe masa / Mwishyuke
Cheers/Good health! Kubuzima bwacu!
Have a nice day Umunsi Mwiza
Bon appetit Muryoherwe
Bon voyage Urugendo Rwiza
I understand Ndabyumva
I don't understand Sinumva / Simbyumva
I don't know Simbizi
Please speak more slowly Vuga buhoro buhoro
Please say that again Subiramo
Please write it down  
Do you speak English? Uvuga icyongereza?
Do you speak Kinyarwanda?
Yes, a little
Uvuga Ikinyarwanda?
 
How do you say ... in Kinyarwanda? Uvuga ngwiki ... mu Kinyarwanda?
Excuse me Imbabazi / Ndasaba inzira
How much is this? Nangahe?
Sorry Babarira / Wihangane (expression of sympathy)
Please  
Thank you
Response
Murakoze
Murakoze cyane
Ntacyo
Where's the toilet? Aho kwituma ni he?
This gentleman/lady
will pay for everything
 
Would you like to
dance with me?
 
I miss you Ndagukumbuye
I love you Ndagukunda
Get well soon Urware ubukira
Go away!  
Leave me alone! Mvaho! Ndakwiyamye!
Help!
Fire!
Stop!
 
Call the police! Hamagara polisi!
Merry Christmas
and Happy New Year
Noheri nziza n'umwaka mushya muhire
Happy Easter Pasika Nziza
Happy Birthday Isabukuru rwiza / Ugire umunsi mwiza wivuko ryawe
One language
is never enough
 
My hovercraft
is full of eels

What!? Why this phrase?
 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire